[SIGCIS-Members] Google boss warns of 'forgotten century' with email and photos at risk

Len Shustek len at shustek.com
Fri Feb 13 08:50:17 PST 2015

At 03:07 AM 2/13/2015, Brian Randell wrote:
> > Digital material including key historical documents could be lost
> forever because programs to view them will become defunct, says Vint Cerf

We've been beating that drum for a while at the Computer History
Museum, starting with a short film for the general public called
"Digital Dark Age" that we did in 2011 for our permanent "Revolution"
exhibition.
http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/memory-storage/8/325/2208

The inspiration for that film was my discovery that modern versions
of Powerpoint won't open presentations created by Powerpoint 1.0,
which was released in 1990. In only twenty years, perfectly preserved
bits were rendered useless.

-- Len