[SIGCIS-Members] Silicon City

McMillan, William W william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu
Fri Dec 18 11:54:17 PST 2015

Maybe "plucky startup" is condescending and maybe the exhibit is too IBM-heavy, but I'll point out that until around 2000, personal computers of all stripes were as toys compared to IBM mainframes, almost like hobby drones compared to Boeing jetliners.  Even today Unix-, Linux-, and Windows-based computers suffer from their toy-like, "plucky" beginnings, and can't hold a candle to IBM z/OS as far as power and security go.

If I were an IBMer, I'd probably also be condescending to the likes of Apple in the 1970s.

- Bill