[SIGCIS-Members] Bridges & Empty Black Boxes

David Berry D.M.Berry at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 09:00:02 PDT 2015

Hi

You are remembering correctly. As James has remarked, the bus timetable was published in Social Studies of Science 1999:

Woolgar, S. and Cooper, G. (1999) Do Artefacts Have Ambivalence? Moses’ Bridges, Winner’s Bridges and other Urban Legends in S&TS, Social Studies of Science, 29 (3), 433-49.

The timetable is listed and printed at the back of the paper as “STOP PRESS: FIGURE 1” on page 448.

They write on page 435, “we discussed with the Editor of this journal the idea of simply publishing the timetable as a stand-alone item, as the shortest definitive refutation ever published.”

I thought I remember reading a response from Winner to this article, but perhaps I am confusing it with Bernward Joerges’

Joerges, B. (1999) Scams Cannot be Busted: Response to Steve Woolgar and Geoff Cooper, “Do artefacts have ambivalence? –
Moses’ bridges, Winner’s bridges and other urban legends in STS”, Social Studies of Science, 29 (3), 450-457

Best

David

---

Dr. David M. Berry