[SIGCIS-Members] Is Unix racist?

Hansen Hsu hansnhsu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 14:16:43 PDT 2015

Thanks so much for this, Tom, I totally agree.

Even for those of us who have STS training, proving causality in cultural shaping of technical architectures can be difficult. In one draft of my dissertation, I made a statement about the need to understand Apple software developer culture because it shapes the way apps are designed and implemented. But my committee rightly pointed out that despite getting inside the black box of Mac and iOS programming, I didn’t actually show what I claimed aside from some tenuous connections I drew. This is inherently hard to do, doubly so for scholars from other disciplines. But I agree with Tom, for historians and sociologists, the burden of proof should be higher for claims implying causality. While McPherson’s article is an interesting conversation starter for us academics and a provocative thought piece for students, I fear that it could do more harm than good in our attempts to reach across the aisle to engineers because undoubtedly there are many more like Ken who might see the article as symptomatic of everything that’s wrong with the humanities and dismiss the lot of us.