[SIGCIS-Members] New in Platform Studies

Ian Bogost ian.bogost at lmc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 25 17:35:32 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Just a note to say that we have published two new books in the MIT Press Platform Studies series, which I edit with Nick Montfort.

Peripheral Vision: Bell Labs, the S-C 4020, and the Origins of Computer Art, by Zabet Patterson, is about the Stromberg-Carlson 4020  and its use at Bell Labs in the 1960s.
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/peripheral-vision

I Am Error: The Nintendo Family Computer / Entertainment System Platform, by Nathan Altice, is about Nintendo’s Famicom/NES.
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/i-am-error

These books join our previous titles on Flash, the Amiga, the Nintendo Wii, and the Atari Video Computer System.
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/series/platform-studies

As always, we welcome inquiries and pitches for books in the series. We’re especially interested in early general-purpose microcomputer platforms (Apple II, etc.), software platforms (Java, etc.), and current/recent platforms at risk of undocumented losses to history (Facebook Platform, etc.). But any computing system that could be construed as a platform is welcome.

Ian

Ian Bogost, Ph.D.

Ivan Allen College Distinguished Chair in Media Studies
Professor of Interactive Computing
Professor, Scheller School of Business
Georgia Institute of Technology

Contributing Editor, The Atlantic