[SIGCIS-Members] simulation before 1947

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 8 06:26:32 PDT 2015

Dear Julian (if I may),

Many thanks for this. Harry F Olson, Dynamical Analogies (Van Nostrand,
1943), does not use the word 'simulation' (which is evidence that it was
not the obvious term then), but the technique I am after is what he
describes for acoustical systems. This is how he begins Chapter 1:

 > Analogies are useful when it is desired to compare an unfamiliar
 > system with one that is better known. The relations and actions are
 > more easily visualized, the mathematics more readily applied and the
 > analytical solutions more readily obtained in the familiar system.
 > Analogies make it possible to extend the line of reasoning into
 > unexplored fields. A large part of engineering analysis is concerned
 > with vibrating systems. Although not generally so considered, the
 > electrical circuit is the most common example and the most widely
 > exploited vibrating system.

The book is in the Internet Archive.

Yours,
Group, University of Western Sydney