[SIGCIS-Members] 'simulation'

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 8 01:44:46 PDT 2015

Another question regarding terminology. In "Models, Simulation, and
'Computer Experiments'", Evelyn Fox Keller says that before the likely
seeming date of 1947, when the OED records the first positive use of
"simulation", the word "invariably meant deception" (p. 198). But a
closer look, into publications of electrical engineers back to the early
20th Century, reveals uses of 'simulation' straightforwardly to denote
the behaviour of electrical circuits designed as analogues of physical
phenomena. (My source is the IEEE Xplore Digital Library.) Despite hints
that simulation was in effect being practiced in the 19th Century, e.g.
by Kelvin and Babbage, I cannot find any use of the *word* to denote a
constructed analogical likeness. Perhaps not coincidentally the first
occurrences I've found coincide roughly with electricity becoming
familiar enough that it could be used to explore less familiar phenomena
rather than the other way around. (Charles Care's work bears on this point.)

Does anyone here know more?  (I did try the archive, but it reports a
"ht://Dig error", commenting that, "Unable to read word database file
'/dh/mailman/grail/archives/private/members-sigcis.org/htdig/db.words.db'
Did you run htdig?")

Many thanks.

Yours,
WM