[SIGCIS-Members] human computers

David Alan Grier grier at gwu.edu
Tue Nov 11 08:45:36 PST 2014

Bernie
    Though the move  to NJ, The labs had at least two kinds of human computers. The first were in a larger group that was part of the applied mathematics lab. It was under the direction of Clara Froelich, though she really had limited authority. They did general problems for anyone in the labs. They also worked with (and often trained) a second kind of mathematical assistant who were directly assigned to the engineers or scientists. The labs directories team to list the first group in detail but not the second. It is plausible that personal assistants were not there for very long. The computing training in the labs focussed on linear algebra and numerical integration.  So you are probably right, we'll only know anything if she papers behind.

David

David Alan Grier
IEEE Computer Society, Past President
Center for Int. Science & Tech. Policy