[SIGCIS-Members] Resources re: history of menus in computing?

William McMillan billmcmillan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 13:36:23 PDT 2014

Hello, Laine.

Menus were central to the UI of UCSD Pascal, Ken Bowles's project in
the 1970s.  Bowles talked with Steve Jobs int he early days (and
later, Gates) and some of the students who worked on UCSD Pascal went
to Apple and influenced the development of the Lisa etc.  Apple Pascal
(an OS as well as a programming environment) for the Apple II was UCSD
Pascal.

There are a lot of good web resources on UCSD Pascal, and I had a
magazine article on its history in IEEE Spectrum.

This was certainly an early and influential deployment of a
menu-driven UI.  Games were developed in UCSD Pascal, but I don't know
if they were notable at all.

- Bill