[SIGCIS-Members] Resources re: history of menus in computing?

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Mar 19 16:23:24 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

Following on my earlier comments, the idea that computers have "users" with
user interfaces or interactive dialogs only really goes mainstream in
business data processing circles in the 1970s. A nice snapshot of the
emerging conventional wisdom is given in J. Martin, Design of Man-Computer
Dialogues. New York: Prentice-Hall, 1973. Martin was a prolific author of
books on business computing technology.

On menus vs. command lines, a command line system would typically involve
typing a command word followed, in many cases, by some parameters. There
would very often be a "help" command that would list valid commands.

A menu is, in its most primitive form, basically the same thing except that
the help is displayed by default and the commands are short (usually one or
two characters) so that the system will prompt for any further parameters or
options needed. I remember a lot of terminal oriented menu systems involved
two letter command codes.

Laine is probably too young to remember browsing the web in a text terminal
window using the Lynx browser. That turned the web into a menu system, not
unlike Gopher. It is still possible to get around Windows with keyboard
shortcuts.

Tom