[SIGCIS-Members] Resources re: history of menus in computing?

Tony Smith spirifume at me.com
Mon Mar 17 10:26:47 PDT 2014

Hi, Laine

FWIW, I recall menus in games - in the sames of an up-front, mid-screen
panel listing options such as 'new game', 'load saved game', etc. - in
titles going back to the very early 1980s and beyond. Even before anyone
but Xerox and computer science academics were aware of what we today
call menus (ie. drop-downs and pop-ups).

Indeed, if you look back at ealry 1970s games like Star Trek, Hunt the
Wumpus, Colossal Cave, they generally presented a numbered list of
options - hit the appropriate number key to make a selection - as soon
as the game was run.

Tony Smith
http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=archaeologic