[SIGCIS-Members] Alan Turing as gay icon

Clarence Townsend clarence1234 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 23:27:31 PDT 2014

Jacob: Thank you for introducing the thread of the whole group of folks
(Pitts, Russell, Carnap, Rashevsky, Lettvin, McCulloch) into the
discussion. I am a semi retired practitioner who has a hobby reading in the
history of science including the history of logical positivism and the
history of cybernetics and computers. I have read a bunch on the connection
of Norbert Wiener with Bertrand Russell and Russell with Walter Pitts and
Rudolf Carnap. I also am a bit obsessive about reading the history of the
Macy Conferences. While the issue of various sexual preferences is
interesting, there is also the issue of why neither Turing nor Walter Pitts
have been given adequate credit for their work.

My most interesting original historical research was going into Warren
McCulloch archive papers at the American Philosophical Society (APS)
Library in downtown Philadelphia (where many of Benjamin Franklin's papers
are located) and reading the files on McCulloch and Walter Pitts. The Pitts
paper are in 4 folders in the correspondence section of the McCulloch
archives.  If you have never been to these archives it is a great archives
to go to when visiting Philadelphia as it is only a block from Independence
Hall and the Liberty Bell.

See the following link for the McCulloch archives at APS:
*http://www.amphilsoc.org/mole/view?docId=ead/Mss.B.M139-ead.xml;query=;brand=default
<http://www.amphilsoc.org/mole/view?docId=ead/Mss.B.M139-ead.xml;query=;brand=default>*;

I was trying to trace some of Walter Pitts history and the files in the
McCulloch archives papers on Pitts were quite interesting. There are copies
of the letters that McCulloch sent to various academic scholars asking for
them to write letters of reference for Walter Pitts so that MIT could grant
him a PHD. Even though the McCulloch and Pitts 1943 paper, A logical
calculus of the ideas immanent in nervous activity, was a very well cited
paper and played a key role in the transition form logical positivism to
cybernetics, Pitts remains a very obscure figure.

What was interesting is that McCulloch sent a letter to Rudolf Carnap at
Carnap's home address in LA after Carnap went to UCLA to teach asking for a
letter of recommendation from Carnap to use to try and get Pitts a PHD from
MIT.  McCulloch also sent letters to a number of others including Margaret
Mead for this purpose. In the letter that McCulloch sent to Carnap,
McCulloch discusses Russell and Carnap's interactions and influences on
Pitts.
Unfortunately just the letters that McCulloch sent out to other academics
to get letters of recommendation for Pitts were in the Pitts archive file
and none of the replies were in that file.  Some publications indicate that
McCulloch got an OK from MIT to grant Pitts a PHD after getting the
recommendation letters back but Pitts would not sign the papers to get the
PHD.

Anyway my larger question which relates to bigger issues in the sociology
of knowledge is why is the transition from logical positivism to
cybernetics and the history of computers via Turing and Pitts, not viewed
as a major success?  Why is logical positivism still evaluated only for
it's contribution to the philosophy of science when it could claim a huge
success in the role that it played in the history of computers and
technology?

>From a practitioners viewpoint, I ask the question: *Will the sociology of
knowledge be forever stuck evaluating logical positivism in the narrow
context of the philosophy of science when its really successful practical
application was in the history of technology?* A history of computers which
ignores and leaves out the history of the contribution of logical
positivism to the history of computers is inadequate. Turing and Pitts role
in this transition represent key pieces and both of their work deserves
more recognition.Of course I do not want to overstate the role that they
played, but credit does need to be given when it is due.

The irony of all this is that even though Pitts is mostly forgotten and
ignored now, his papers and correspondence with McCulloch are stored in the
McCulloch archives at the American Philosophical Society Library near the
Benjamin Franklin archives and a block from Independence Hall and Liberty
Bell.
*Is that a touch of  historical irony? *

Clarence Townsend
Practitioner & Independent Scholar, Eugene OR
Email: clarence1234 at gmail.com

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Jacob Gaboury <jacob.gaboury at nyu.edu>
wrote:

> [...]
>> time I discovered that he was homosexual. That was when he said that he was
>> going to Paris to "see a boy." It was obvious that he was admitting or
>> proclaiming his homosexuality.
>>
>> Lee: He was very open about it?
>>
>> Good: Yes, at that time.
>>
>> Michie: He certainly wasn't during the war, for some of us, including
>> both of us, were quite unaware.... I took quite seriously his engagement to
>>
>> Good: Joan Clarke?
>>
>> Lee: Peter Hilton [1991] quotes you, Jack, as saying, 'It was fortunate
>> that the authorities did not know during the war that Turing was a
>> homosexual, otherwise the Allies might have lost the war."
>>
>> Good: Yes.
>>
>> Michie: Oh but that's absolute nonsense, because Bletchley had some
>> flamboyant homosexuals--Peter's ideas that security people were down on
>> homosexuality itself, is absolute nonsense. I can't think how he could
>> write that. The most flamboyant case was Angus Wilson--he later became a
>> very successful novelist, and he had a boyfriend called Beverly, and these
>> two, Angus was about that high [indicating small] with flowing yellow hair
>> (I remember it went white later) and Beverly (I forget his second name) was
>> very "weed-like," very tall. They could be seen shambling along the
>> horizon, a daily sight, as they took their walk around lawns after lunch.
>>
>> --
>>
>> It certainly seems anachronistic to ascribe our contemporary definition
>> of homosexuality as a coherent and fixed identity, but by many accounts he
>> viewed the trial and arrest with humor and openness, and the letter Bernard
>> included above might be read in that light.
>>

>> --
>> Jacob Gaboury
>> --
>> Assistant Professor of Digital Media and Visual Culture
>> Dept. of Cultural Analysis and Theory, Stony Brook University
>> --
>> Junior Fellow, MECS Institute for Advanced Study on Media Cultures of
>> Computer Simulation
>> Leuphana University, Lüneburg, Germany (Summer 2014)
>> --
>> Staff Writer, Rhizome.org
>> New Museum for Contemporary Art
>> --
>> http://www.jacobgaboury.com/
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM, <geoghegb at cms.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sigcis,
>>>
>>> I concur with Paul. Turing's fear of being thought of as a gay man is
>>> alluded to in the letter below, which I've copied and pasted from
>>> http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/06/yours-in-distress-alan.html . It
>>> suggests his fear that his  professional credibility would collapse if
>>> his
>>> sexual identity became public knowledge. As an aside, I think I read
>>> something in archival correspondences -- maybe among Norbert Wiener and
>>> Warren McCulloch? -- suggesting that suspicions about Walter Pitts'
>>> orientation (among other issues) likewise threatened his employability.