[SIGCIS-Members] Alan Turing as gay icon

Jacob Gaboury jacob.gaboury at nyu.edu
Thu Jun 5 12:53:40 PDT 2014

Also at least one reference to Walter Pitts' sexuality is from Elizabeth
Wilson's fantastic *Affect and Artificial Intelligence* (2010) where she
describes the homosocial environment of early cybernetics researchers and
suggests that Wiener broke off relations with Pitts in part due to
accusations of homosexuality. It's actually a fantastic part of the book
that revolves around the famous anecdote of Pitts meeting Bertrand Russell
in a park in 1938:

Rook McCulloch (Warren's widow and editor of his collected works) appears
> to have removed a part of this story that veers too close to manifest
> homosexuality. A copy-edited typescript of Blum's story reads as follows:
> “Walter was just 15 when he ran away from home, turned up in Chicago and
> there, in a park, made friends with a fellow who called himself Bert."
> Blum's original phrase "in a park…" has been deleted by hand. In another
> version of the same manuscript, the word "park" is deleted and the
> suggestion "small restaurant" is inserted (see Appendixes 2 and 3). The
> final published version of the story, as we have seen, alludes to no
> particular location at all. As if the meeting of these mathematical minds
> was untouched by geographical orientation, and, in particular, that it was
> unsullied by the class, sexual and gendered implications that meetings
> between men in public parks entail. This act of editing does not just erase
> any sexual frisson that may or may not have been part of this encounter, it
> also desexualizes the conceptual schemata that these men (Pitts, Russell,
> Carnap, Rashevsky, Lettvin, McCulloch) would build. It straightens out, and
> forswears, the longing that motivates AI. To be perfectly clear: I am, not
> making claims about actual homosexual encounters. Nor am I trying to build
> a case that Pitts was homosexual On the contrary, I am arguing that
> attachments cannot be readily contained within the logic of alloerotic
> object choice that dominated the twentieth century. Smalheiser (2000)
> reports that: "his friends are emphatic that Pitts was neither asexual nor
> homosexual [yet] there is no record of him actually having any romantic
> relationships with women. A shy, introverted lost soul, with glasses, bad
> teeth, a habit of twirling his hair, a slight nervous tremor and a tendency
> to bump into things, more comfortable with small children than with adults,
> he appealed rather to women's maternal instincts." (221)

Refs:
Wilson, Elizabeth. 2010. *Affect and Artificial Intelligence*. Seattle:
University of Washington Press: 126-127.
Smalheiser, Neil. 2000. Walter Pitts. *Perspectives in Biology and Medicine*
43(2): 217-26.

Apologies for the repeated posting, but this is all very related to my
second research project.

- Jacob

Jacob Gaboury