[SIGCIS-Members] My column on Turing and the Invention of the Computer

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Fri Jan 17 15:21:08 PST 2014

Thanks Bill,

I agree that if Turing had been the first to build a general purpose programmable mechanical digital computer then he would certainly deserve to be remembered as the inventor of such. Whether or not that would be “the computer” is a question we historians long ago decided to avoid.

The addressable memory, op codes, etc. become critical because Turing didn’t build a machine in the 1930s. The argument for Turing as the father of the *modern* computer or *stored program* computer follows a rather tortuous path:

Turing 1936 paper à Stored program concept à John von Neumann à First Draft of a Report on the EDVAC à Actual modern computers

Thus this argument rests on the idea that the crucial thing that the builders of actual computers got from the First Draft was an idea that von Neumann had borrowed from Turing’s 1936 paper. That’s why it becomes important to figure out what the influential and novel ideas in the First Draft actually were, and whether any of them could plausibly be argued to come from Turing.