[SIGCIS-Members] NY Review of Books: The Imitation Game -- a question

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Dec 24 03:56:58 PST 2014

Dear all

When discussing this question it's interesting to compare the often
overlooked "Author's Note" at the back of Hodges' biography, the first
part of which is essentially a history of Turing's reputation to 1983.

On Hodges' account, Turing's most influential promoter by far in the
years immediately after his death was Max Newman, and the vision that
emerged was very partial, in line with Newman's mathematical priorities:
Turing the high logician, of no more than academic interest to the
growing world of practical computers. Hodges has little time for the
other main early source, Sara Turing's tribute to her son, and suggests
a standard view emerging in reference sources in the 1960s from these
two origin points alone, which largely vested Turing's importance in his
1936 work. In discussing what changed in the 1970s to make a
reassessment possible (in which his own contribution, of course, was
key), Hodges particularly credits Donald Michie, who was not only among
the most proactive of the several Bletchley Park veterans fighting to
overturn the longstanding secrecy, but, as the director of the Edinburgh
group, the leading spokesman for Artificial Intelligence interests in
the UK community. It would be interesting to map how closely British
appeals to Turing's name and work connected with those in the US.

Two other well-known sightings of Turing, from the period of his
apparent obscurity, are worth noting:

- Maboth Moseley's 1964 biography of Charles Babbage -- himself still in
the process of iconisation -- refers briefly and unexpectedly to Turing
as “another Englishman of genius” who carried Babbage’s torch in 1936 --
in line with the Newman view, but with a lack of supplementary detail
which may suggest growing familiarity (Moseley was editor of a computer
industry review periodical);

- "turingineer" and "turologist" appear in the whimsical list of
suggested terms for the emerging profession in an editorial response to
a letter to the /Communications of the ACM/ in 1958. Putting Turing and
engineering in the same conceptual space (let alone the same word) meant
stepping far beyond the picture of Turing's signficiance which Hodges
indicates was standard in the literature of the time.

Finally, to follow up on Pierre's anecdote: my first regular access to
the internet came in 1995 via the Turing Room, the modest basement IT
facility of King's College Cambridge. My undergraduate generation
doubtless thought it was being hilariously original in devising the verb
"to ture" (approximately, "to check email; to scramble together an
ill-prepared essay late at night; to spend a very long time waiting for
Mosaic to load"), as had the previous generation and, I'd guess, all
subsequent generations. The room was not especially chilly in winter,
but any outer garment apparently being worn for the purposes of turing
was inevitably a turing shroud.

All best
James