[SIGCIS-Members] Babbage's Language of Thought

Paul Fishwick metaphorz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 19:18:53 PST 2014

Brian
  Please keep us informed of the simulation for Babbage’s notation. Can you provide a reference to the
article or book where the notation (e.g., the flow diagram in your online article) is covered?
-paul

On Dec 11, 2014, at 4:34 AM, Brian Randell <brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> This comes from the Plan 28 Blog:
>
>> Babbage's Language of Thought
>> This is a guest post by Adrian Johnstone, Professor of Computing at Royal Holloway, University of London.
>>
>> Babbage has been called the 'great-uncle' of modern computing, a claim that rests simultaneously on his demonstrable understanding of most of the architectural principles underlying the modern computer, and the almost universal ignorance of Babbage's work before 1970.
>>
>> There has been an explosion of interest both in Babbage's devices and the impact they might have had in some parallel history, as well as in Babbage himself as a man of great originality who had essentially no influence at all on subsequent technological development.
>>
>> In all this, one fundamental question has been largely ignored: how is it that one individual working alone could have synthesised a workable computer design over quite a short period, designing an object whose complexity of behaviour so far exceeded that of contemporary machines that it would not be matched for over one hundred years?
>>
>> I believe that the answer lies in the techniques Babbage developed to reason about complex systems. The Leverhulme Trust have recently made a major award to myself and my collaborator Prof Elizabeth Scott which we will use to document, formalise and implement simulators for Babbage's Notation. The team also includes Plan 28’s Dr Doron Swade, who is the foremost authority on Babbage, and Dr Piers Plummer who has an extensive background in chip design, computer architecture, mechanical CAD and programming language compiler design. The work will be based in Royal Holloway's Centre for Software Language Engineering.
> <snip>
>
> Full article at http://blog.plan28.org/2014/11/babbages-language-of-thought.html
>
> Cheers
>
> Brian Randell
>

> School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
> EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
> URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/staff/profile/brian.randell

> This email is relayed from members at sigcis.org, the email discussion list of SHOT SIGCIS. Opinions expressed here are those of the member posting and are not reviewed, edited, or endorsed by SIGCIS. The list archives are at http://sigcis.org/pipermail/members/ and you can change your subscription options at http://sigcis.org/mailman/listinfo/members

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Chair, ACM SIGSIM
Distinguished University Chair of Arts & Technology
   and Professor of Computer Science
Director, Creative Automata Laboratory
The University of Texas at Dallas
Arts & Technology