[SIGCIS-Members] Laine Nooney on Softporn Adventure in the Atlantic

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Tue Dec 2 15:42:28 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

A teaser on the Onion's AV Club just alerted me that our own Laine Nooney
has published a fascinating article in The Atlantic showcasing her work on
the history of Sierra Online's early Softporn Adventure (later remade as
Leisure Suit Larry). I was lucky enough to comment on this material when she
presented it at SIGCIS-sponsored session during the SHOT 2012 meeting in
Copenhagen. Laine also served on our workshop organizing committee earlier
this year.

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-how-first-erotic-video-game-presaged-cult
ure--212483
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/12/the-odd-history-of-the
-first-erotic-computer-game/383114/?single_page=true

As Laine explains, the Softporn advertising shoot featured a bounty of naked
women (all Sierra employees) in a hot tub with a butler and a computer. In
contrast I recall Larry itself, played with my fellow interns during the
lunch break at a small computer company in 1990, as curiously reluctant to
engage in wish fulfillment or titillation. The pathetic antihero spent the
game squandering money in a depressing environment humorously attempting
with little success to score. Also no onscreen nudity. Checking an online
walkthrough suggests that it was necessary to get married to complete the
game! No consequence-free hot tub orgy for you. Also great: her quoted
characterization of the computer as a "sexless tool".