[SIGCIS-Members] opportunity to reach a wide audience

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Fri Oct 18 13:43:42 PDT 2013

Another example from my locale: Seattle Public Schools changed their
student allocation software, and for reasons that remain unexplained (and
probably deliberately well-obfuscated) the roll-out left students attending
high school on the first day with no class schedule.  Those (including my
daughter) were the lucky ones: some did not know to which school they had
been allocated/accepted.
Great question, Jonathan.  :-)  Cheers -- Ian

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Jonathan Coopersmith <
j-coopersmith at neo.tamu.edu> wrote:

> The major problems with the Obamacare and, less reported (but no less
> anguished if you are a high school senior or parent of one)Common
> Application websites offer an opportunity for an op-ed via History News
> Service (http://historynewsservice.org/submission-guidelines/)or History
> News Network (http://hnn.us/submissions.html) to reach a wider audience
> than we normally find.
> What perspective could a historian of computing offer on these
> semi-failures (and possibly similar online fiascoes)?  What guidance or
> commentary could help shape public and policy reactions?
>
> Take advantage of this post-shutdown opportunity.
>
>   Jonathan
>
> --
> Jonathan Coopersmith
> Associate Professor
> Department of History
> Texas A&M University
> College Station, TX  77843-4326
> 979.845.7151
> 979.862.4314 fax
> http://aggiegaijin.blogspot.com/

Ian S. King, MSCS ('06, Washington)
Ph.D. Student
The Information School
University of Washington

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken."  - Oscar Wilde