[SIGCIS-Members] query update: de/classification at govt archives re sci/tech

Sharon Traweek traweek at history.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 13 06:57:08 PST 2013

Hi
My sincerely thanks to all who have responded to my query Monday
concerning research on the history of de/classification processes pursued
by historians, archivists, etc. [See below.]

I have been aware of and impressed by the scholars who are conducting
research on cold war science and engineering fields/projects and in so
doing have worked to open previously re/classified government documents on
their topics of interest. I also have been aware of and impressed by the
archivists, historians, lawyers, engineers, and scientists who have
persisted in opening previously classified government documents. I teach
about their work and the relevant organizations.

I have been looking for historical surveys, reviews, and analyses of these
research processes during the last twenty years, at least, in the US, as
well as other countries, such as China, France, Germany, India, Iran,
Italy, Japan, Korea, Soviet Union, Sweden, UK, etc, where sci/tech
research & development would have been strongly shaped by the cold war.

I was taught long ago that for 50 years [early 40s to early 90s] about 50%
of the S&T workforce with 50% of national R&D funding worked on
clandestine projects in the US and the former Soviet Union. I try to teach
students how historians have been investigating that half of our topic and
its relationship with the other half. I use various examples from the work
of historians and archivists; I would like to include surveys, reviews,
and analyses of these process.

Sincerely,
Sharon Traweek, UCLA