[SIGCIS-Members] Summer Institute for grad students interested in New Economics

Marie Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Sun May 5 14:03:12 PDT 2013

Please pass this along to grad students in the social sciences who might be
interested. They do not have to be economics students. On a personal note,
the lead speaker, feminist economist Juliet Schor, was one of my most
inspired undergraduate professors--I'm sure it will be a great experience:

http://www.bc.edu/schools/cas/sociology/neweconomics/

Second Annual Summer Institute in New Economics
hosted by the Wingspread Retreat Center, Wind Point, WI august 12-18, 2013

Dire ecological news and the failures of the global economy are fuelling
interest in a “new economics” grounded in principles of ecological
sustainability, the democratization of wealth, community empowerment and
social and digital connection. Following the success of last year’s first
annual Boston College Summer Institute in New Economics, we will be holding
another session from August 12-18, 2013. If you are a PhD student in the
social sciences, you are invited to apply.The cost of the Institute is $500
and scholarships are available for participants.

We will bring together a group of distinguished faculty who are pursuing
research and practice in this emerging field.  Confirmed faculty include
Juliet Schor (Boston College), Gar Alperovitz (University of Maryland),
Joel Rogers (University of Wisconsin), Gill Seyfang (University of East
Anglia) and Michel Bauwens (P2P Foundation and University of Amsterdam).
Practitioners working on new economy projects will join us for workshops.
Together with a dynamic group of students, we will meet for an intensive
program of classes, workshops and participatory sessions. Graduate students
attending the Institute can expect to leave with a solid grounding in the
latest research and theory, and as part of a network of faculty and other
graduate students.

Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, History of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology