[SIGCIS-Members] Reference//Growth of Early Personal Computer Industry

Al Kossow akossow at computerhistory.org
Fri Mar 1 09:27:00 PST 2013

On 3/1/13 6:40 AM, "David C. Brock" <dcb at dcbrock.net> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I was wondering if you could point me to good references on the early history
> of the personal computer industry. I'm looking for information for 1975-1985:
> # of firms, product introductions, # of units sold, that kind of thing. I'm
> trying to get some kind of quantitative handle on the growth in this area
> during this decade.

For quantitative analysis, look for Datapro, Dataquest or IDC industry
reports. They did (do) this sort of thing for a living.

http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/accession/102623709

For example.

Unrelated, but useful is
Phister "Data Processing Technology and Economics" 2ed 1979
An excellent source for information on the mainframe industry.