[SIGCIS-Members] Charles Babbage Institute --> announces Cortada appointment

Thomas J. Misa tmisa at umn.edu
Tue Jan 1 12:41:08 PST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Happy New Years!  We at CBI are pleased to announce that Jim Cortada will join us for a three-year term as Senior Research Fellow, effective today, January 1st.

SIGCIS members will know Jim as the author of numerous notable works in the history of computing, most recently his _Digital Flood: The Diffusion of Information Technology across the United States, Europe, and Asia_ (Oxford UP 2012).  Jim is recently retired from a long and productive career at IBM.  We are very pleased to facilitate his ongoing research in the history of information technology, and we hope to draw on Jim's wide-ranging professional, scholarly, and publishing experiences in further developing our field.

At CBI, we already are the beneficiaries of Jim's extensive collecting of primary and secondary source materials.  These can be found in James W. Cortada Papers (CBI 185) at <http://purl.umn.edu/40884>.  Detailed keyword searches can be done at <http://discover.lib.umn.edu/findaid/> on all of CBI's archival collections.  There are many gems waiting for you.

You can find a short biography at <http://www.cbi.umn.edu/about/cortada.html>.  And you can contact Jim at <jcortada at umn.edu>.

Welcome Jim !!

Tom Misa