[SIGCIS-Members] Chairs and Commentators needed for SIGCIS workshop

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Aug 14 13:28:02 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm just putting together a draft schedule for the SIGCIS workshop, details
of which can always be found at http://www.sigcis.org/workshop13. (The CFP
is still there right now, but will be replaced with the provisional schedule
very soon).

As always we need chairs and commentators for a number of sessions. For
those of you with potential access to travel funds from your institutions
this can be a great way to get onto the program and attend SHOT. There is
still some time to the SHOT registration deadline and still space in the
conference hotel. It's going to be a great workshop, with a mix of well
known scholars and exciting new voices.

So please let me know if you are interested. As we always want to maximize
the number of participants, our general order of priority in filling these
slots will be

1)      People not currently on the main SHOT or SIGCIS program.

2)      People currently on the main SHOT program but not the SIGCIS
workshop program.

3)      People already on the SIGCIS program.

However there are a large number of slots open at present, so if you are
willing to help our please let me know even if you are already presenting in
another SIGCIS workshop session. Those committed to a morning event with
another SIG should mention this, but there would still be a good chance of
accommodating you in an afternoon session.

For those of you unfamiliar with the rituals of history conferences, a chair
just introduces the panelists, polices time, and manages the discussion
period. The commentator receives the papers ahead of time and prepares an
informal discussion of maybe ten minutes drawing together themes from the
papers and offering helpful suggestions to the authors. Chairing is easier
than commenting, and with commentators we take care to match the expertise
of the commentator to the topic of the panel.