[SIGCIS-Members] Juris Hartmanis article for CACM

Bill Aspray bill at ischool.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 7 12:19:51 PDT 2013

Communications of the ACM, the flagship magazine of the ACM, which reaches approximately 100,000 subscribers, occasionally takes existing oral history transcripts and edits them severely into short articles for publication in the magazine. Moshe Vardi, the editor in chief of CACM, is seeking an historian who might have an interest in editing the 71 pp. oral history transcript of Juris Hartmanis, a Turing Award winner in the theoretical computer science area, into a several page long article. The oral history was conducted (by me on behalf of the ACM History Committee) several years ago at Hartmanis's office at Cornell University.  I am not available to do the edit job myself, by I will be slightly involved as the person who manages all historical articles for CACM. You will get a byline in CACM and a chance to write a brief preface to the article.

If any of you are interested, please send email to me at bill at ischool.utexas.edu.

Thanks,

Bill Aspray