[SIGCIS-Members] Who invented email?

Pierre Mounier mounier at msh-paris.fr
Wed Mar 14 02:55:09 PDT 2012

Hello,

A late follow-up on the discussion about the origins of “email”. I
asked Louis Pouzin what word they used in Cyclades,  the Arpanet-like
network developed in France in the early 1970s. Quick answer (my
translation):
“I don’t remember precisely all our reveries of that time. I think we
said ‘messageries’ [mailing]. It was not a priority. Perhaps toward
1973 someone installed some rather basic software in Cyclades,  but we
didn’ use it much. Until around 1980,  in France,  there was a variety
of ‘messageries’,  as each lab,  computer centre or inspired hacker
tended to develop one’s own. It was probably the arrival of Multics
which forced an alignment on the Arpanet standard.”

Best,
Pierre Mounier-Kuhn

CNRS & Université Paris-Sorbonne
http://pups.paris-sorbonne.fr/pages/aff_livre.php?Id=838