[SIGCIS-Members] tips for a course on the cultural history and theory of programming?

Jon Lindsay jonrlindsay at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:01:53 PDT 2012

Bernie,

You might find it interesting to check out Piet Hut's project on The Art of
Computational Science http://www.artcompsci.org/. It's an open source
project for astronomical modeling, but it goes far beyond that in
attempting to document the tacit knowledge and interaction that goes into
program design, presented as a conversation between real and imaginary
developers. Piet is a fascinating fellow, an astrophysicist by training and
currently Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies at IAS, with a
long-running interest in epistemology grounded in German phenomenology and
Eastern contemplative traditions. He intends this project to be a sort of
phenomenology of programming experience, as its happening.

Cheers,
Jon