[SIGCIS-Members] Turing Image

Bernardo Batiz-Lazo bbatiz64 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:51:47 PST 2012

 Hi Thomas
 The series has ten stamps of which five are portraits of  the
 distinguished subjects

 Odette Hallowes (1912-1995), Frederick Delius (1862-1934), Joan Mary
 Fry (1862-1955), Montague Rhodes James (1862-1936), Kathleen Ferier
 (1912-1953)

 and five are depictions of their greatest achievements:

 Alan Turin (mathemtician and code breaker, 1912-1954), Thomas Newcomen
 (atmosheric steam engine - 1712), Mary 'May' Morris (1862-1938), Sir
 Basil Spence (Coventry Cathedral, 1962), Agustus Pugin (Houses of
 Parliament, 1812-1852)

 The division seems about even but its not clear why in the depiction
 of achievements two have specific dates and three their lifespan.

You can see all the cards here

http://shop.royalmail.com/stamps-issue-by-issue/britons-of-distinction/icat/britonsofdistinction/

 Hope this helps
 Bernardo