[SIGCIS-Members] Turing Image

Drucker, Thomas L. druckert at uww.edu
Wed Feb 15 12:02:21 PST 2012

   The British Postal Service is issuing a stamp in honour of Alan Turing next week as part of a series of 'Britons of Distinction'.  As part of the publicity for the series, the advertisement runs, 'Despite their eminence, however, some had not left portraits for posterity.  So rather than exclude anyone for this reason, the imagery on the Special Stamps, most unusually, features an equal number of portraits and illustrations.'  The stamp in honour of Turing depicts a replica of the Bombe from Bletchley Park rather than Turing himself.  Is there some reason they would not have been able to use one of the well-known images of Turing on a stamp?  It's hard for me to believe that any of the individuals included in this series could not have been represented by some surviving image, but we know Turing's appearance, in particular.

                                                                                                                         Thomas Drucker
                                                                                                                         University of Wisconsin--Whitewater
druckert at uww.edu<mailto:druckert at uww.edu>