[SIGCIS-Members] footnote re: Washington Post problems

Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan bernardgeoghegan2010 at u.northwestern.edu
Wed Apr 25 18:46:29 PDT 2012

Hey SIGCISers,

I thought about emailing this link earlier in the week, then decided against it, but now I've re-decided for it. I saw this interesting post from the Wash Post ombudsman regarding the recent resignation of a blogger-reporter for improper citation practices:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/elizabeth-flocks-resignation-the-post-fails-a-young-blogger/2012/04/20/gIQAFACXWT_story.html

It reminded me of the problem Nathan E. had with his work not being credited (that was also the Wash Post, right?) and the whole "inventor of email" thing. It also suggested to me a secondary (but not alternative) narrative for these oversights: Namely, the decimation of the Wash Post and other great newspapers' newsrooms because of that potent mix that is public trading (i.e. relentless search for more profits with fewer staff) and the continued assault that online aggregators, the web, etc, is making on papers' bottom lines. I don't think this is any excuse for the blasé attitude the Post showed towards Nathan and others regarding its reporters' failures. Even so, it also suggests to me that there are broader, more profound structural and financial forces--many of them interwoven with digital media--that are creating these conditions for gross shortcomings in research, reportage, and oversight at the Wash Post and other newspapers. And, also, that these structural issues will undermine efforts at addressing problems in the newsroom (and limit the good influence we historians can have--but it arguably also increases the value of our work as readers and critics who fact check from without, as it were). As someone who also lives by the work I do with my words, and who sometimes questions the infrastructural arrangements compensating for those words, I read the story above and felt some gloomy kinship for the folks at the Wash Post.

Best,
Bernard

Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan
Institut für Kulturwissenschaft