[SIGCIS-Members] "Stored Program" -- origins in IBM circa 1949?

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Tue Apr 3 12:00:35 PDT 2012

Thanks to Peggy Kidwell (below) we have a confirmed sighting of "stored
program" in the wild in 1949. In fact two, in internal IBM documents. This
is very suggestive when taken in conjunction with something I noticed in
searching the ACM DL yesterday, which is that 6 of the 11 uses it located
through the end of 1960 were in papers written by IBM staff.

So, an attractive hypothesis is that the term was coined within IBM
Poughkeepsie in 1949 during early work on IBM's first experimental stored
program computer, the Test Assembly. As the 604 calculator being
cannibalized for its electronic arithmetic unit already had a plugboard
programming mechanism it makes sense that the team would want a clear name
for the separate capability they were building to execute a program stored
in Williams Tubes backed by a drum.

Tom