[SIGCIS-Members] Paul Allen and the communities of IT History

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Fri Sep 2 14:06:40 PDT 2011

Bill made an excellent point: "Academic professionals might consider the value of an "adopt a hobbyist" program."

All college syllabi in computer history should include at least one hands-on session (a demo, or where possible a field trip.)

I can spearhead a matchmaking initiative, in which professors and serious collectors are teamed by geographic region.

At the InfoAge Science Center here in central New Jersey, we would gladly host students from Stevens, NJIT, Rutgers, Princeton, Penn, Johns Hopkins*, etc.

* We are very grateful to Johns Hopkins; our UNIVAC 1219 was a gift of their Applied Physics Laboratory.