[SIGCIS-Members] Paul Allen and the communities of IT History

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Fri Sep 2 09:46:50 PDT 2011

Well, let's not point fingers solely at the Silicon Valley crowd - after all, IBM (to pick just one) has not made a historian's job easy, either.  :-)

I concur that hobbyist/collectors have been an important factor in saving what's been saved; just a few years ago I was known to opine that the history of the minicomputer era was being maintained by guys like me with stuff in our basements.  The companies that had created these machines were either completely gone or merger'ed into oblivion (DG being subsumed by EMC a particularly pointed example), and unlike either mainframes (challenged by the mini) or PC/workstations (being outsold by mobile information devices today) the minicomputer completely disappeared.  That's one reason I was so thrilled when I learned that Mr. Allen was taking this seriously and putting resources into preserving these machines not just as artifacts on a shelf but as working computers.

The apparent paucity of scholarly work on the history of information technology subsequent to the first big successes, i.e. the minicomputer era, is what inspired me to pursue my Ph.D.  I see more scholarly work lately, premised on the emergence of the PC/workstation, but I think there's still a lot of work to do regarding that interval between mainframes and PCs - which, loosely speaking, is both the focus of the LCM and of my research work.

And the Information School environment seems to be a good fit.  The interesting questions are often about what people did with these systems and why - in other words, how did information technology come to transform information science?  When we consider the original use cases for computing technology, primarily focused around the arithmetic of business and secondarily that of science and engineering, one can envision an alternate timeline in which the creation, management and storage of information in its broadest sense might not have occurred.  An information economy would not have developed without this evolving synergy between information science and information technology.

And I started out as a hobbyist/collector - and I still have twenty or so machines in my basement at home.  When I started here with the Living Computer Museum, my wife hoped they might go away.  No, but the growth rate has slowed... and reflects personal interests that do not overlap with LCM's focus.  -- Ian

Ian King, Curator of Education
Living Computer Museum
A presentation of Vulcan, Inc.
http://www.livingcomputermuseum.org