[SIGCIS-Members] Paul Allen and the communities of IT History

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Fri Sep 2 05:54:31 PDT 2011

Evan:

I support your suggestions. I remember attending the VCF in Santa Clara, CA in 1999 and it was one of the most memorable high points of my entire career. I gave an interview to an on-line-only journal (radical at that time--this was 1999) about the ASR-33; I saw someone building a replica of the Whirlwind using modern miniaturized vacuum tubes [!]( I think it was Whirlwind, could be wrong but it was definitely vacuum tubes); I got to hang out & shoot the breeze with Lee Felsenstein. The only downside, sort of, is that I got a t-shirt that is so cool that I only wear it once every five years, since I am afraid of wearing it out.

On the other hand, my general impression of Silicon Valley, from the perspective of the East Coast, is that the people out there have no rear-view mirror or brake pedal. They just go forward as fast as possible. Some exceptions. Not good for historians, but that is who they are.

Paul E. Ceruzzi
Chair, Division of Space History
National Air & Space Museum
MRC 311; PO Box 37012