[SIGCIS-Members] Re : John McCarthy and the arch of modern computing

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Wed Oct 26 09:34:17 PDT 2011

I believe the answer to your larger question lies in the Information School movement.  That is where I am in the first year of my doctoral program (University of Washington), where I am focusing on the historical co-evolution of information science and information technology.  There have been books, some of them quite good (yes, Paul, I mean yours), that have focused on the "what" of computing, but I have not seen much addressing the "why", more of Orlikowski's technology-in-action approach that considers the reflexive relationship between ourselves and our digital offspring.  The rise of interactive computing - in which McCarthy played a crucial role - was more than just technology on the march.  It represented movement toward a more intimate relationship, a conversation, between ourselves and the artifacts of information technology, a trend that remains a powerful moving force as we consider the hands-on interaction that has become ubiquitous.

The Information School (iSchool) here at the UW is a multidisciplinary department that is well situated to encompass, preserve and discuss this history.  The Computer Science and Engineering department (from which I earned my MS) is about the theoretical "what" and has little interest in computers themselves.  While a history department might seem the proper place for a history, they lack domain knowledge for this specialized area, where the interaction of hardware and software is methodologically unsuited to a traditional curatorial treatment.  Anthropology is a player, but again not well suited to studying "intelligences" other than human.  The iSchool is a commons where these concepts come together - or at least that was the judgement of the admissions committee that accepted my application.  :-)

I was in the early stages of planning an interview of McCarthy about his work on timesharing.  <sigh>  I had been talking with Dennis Ritchie (through an intermediary) for over a year, hoping to find at least fragments of listings of his PDP-7 UNICS implementation, to guide a restoration/reconstruction effort on our PDP-7 here.  <sigh^2>  Too many passings of too many great minds....  - Ian