[SIGCIS-Members] Re : John McCarthy and the arch of modern computing

Ksenia Tatarchenko ktatarchenko at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 26 09:05:08 PDT 2011

I just read the New York Times piece on McCarthy, which strikes me as unfair to the point that I feel a need to share with our group.
Though in my work I mostly deal with the international scientific persona of McCarthy, namely Algol and his Soviet connections, even the American part of the story,  or to quote "the arc of modern computing" seems to be totally misrepresented as a teleological drive toward the California born pc.

A larger question to ask: where is the place for a [good] computer history in public sphere?

ksenia