[SIGCIS-Members] Summer reading for historians of computing -- your suggestions

Bill Aspray bill at ischool.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 22 10:12:34 PDT 2011

This past year, I taught a required semester-long course for our
doctoral students in information studies on things they should know
from other areas of humanistic and social study of science and
technology to prepare them to be good scholars in information studies.
Of course, history is just one area within information studies, but I
think there is value for historians to know this material.  Probably
most of you are already familiar with many of these books.  Below is
the list of the books we read in the class (yes, I work the students
hard!).

-Bill

********

Required Readings

Wiebe Bijker et al., ed., The Social Construction of Technological
Systems (MIT, 1989)

Andy Clark, Mindware (Oxford, 2000)

Ruth Schwartz Cowan, More Work for Mother (Basic Books, 1989)

Michael Crotty, The Foundations of Social Research (Sage, 1998)

Terry Eagleton, Literary Theory (Minnesota, 3rd ed., 2008)

Peter Godfrey-Smith, Theory and Reality (Chicago, 2003)

Karin Knorr-Cetina, Epistemic Cultures (Harvard, 1999)

Thomas Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (Chicago, 3rd
ed., 1996)

David Noble, Forces of Production (Oxford, 1986)

Edward Tenner, Why Things Bite Back (Vintage, 1997)

P.E. Vermaas et al., ed., Philosophy and Design (Springer, 2009)

Walter Vincenti, What Engineers Know and How They Know It (Johns
Hopkins, 1993)

Geoff Walsham, “The Emergence of Interpretivism in IS Research,”
Information Systems Research (2001) 6: 4, 376-394. Available online at http://gkmc.utah.edu/7910F/papers/ISR%20emergence%20of%20interpretivism%20in%20IS%20research.pdf
.