[SIGCIS-Members] Summer reading for historians of computing -- your suggestions

Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan bernardgeoghegan2010 at u.northwestern.edu
Thu Jul 14 04:15:15 PDT 2011

Hey Sigcis Members,

I recently got turned onto John Dewey's "The Public and Its Problems," which dates to 1927. A pleasure to read, features a kind of quasi-"networking" theory of modern democracy towards the end, and also something that has been popping up in theoretical literature lately as some of the actor-network theorists and thing theorists turn towards American pragmatism. Markus Krajewski's  recently published German-language book "Der Diener," a history of the figure of the servant, from 18th c. literature to contemporary notions of computer servers, is also a bizarre and fascinating invitation to reconsider how we think about computation and culture.

Best,
Bernie

Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan
bernard at u.northwestern.edu

Graduate Fellow, Mediale Historiographien, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
Doctoral Candidate, Screen Cultures, Northwestern University