[SIGCIS-Members] Syllabus Repository -- please contribute (soon!)

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Tue Aug 16 23:15:06 PDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

A year ago we unveiled the first full version of the SIGCIS syllabus
repository at http://www.sigcis.org/syllabi. This is intended as a central
resource for classes dealing with all aspects of the history of computing.
It now features 38 syllabi covering a range of different approaches.

If you have taught a course related to the history of computing and your
syllabus is not included in the repository (or you have a newer version)
then please contribute it to my Ph.D. student assistant, Edward Benoit  at
eabenoit at gmail.com. Ed can work with you to get them into shape and he will
handle the uploading. If possible please send them in the next week or two,
as his summer appointment will be finishing at the end of this month.

Guidelines:

• We prefer to receive syllabi as a single attached .PDF or MS Word file as
they will be posted as one document. Include as much detail as you feel
comfortable sharing – discussion questions, readings, notes, etc are all
welcome. However if necessary Ed can handle the job of consolidating several
files down into a single syllabus.

• If the syllabus is currently available online please include a URL as well
as the attached archival version.

• Please include in the email an explicit permission to us to post the
syllabus online at www.sigcis.org. We will accept this in good faith, but of
course will comply with the relevant provisions of the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act if contacted by an institution claiming to hold copyright over
your syllabus and asking us to remove it.

• If you are not willing to have us host the syllabus at www.sigcis.org we
would still be happy to link to it instead. But links can decay very
rapidly. This is particularly true for syllabi. In addition an ever greater
proportion of syllabi are hidden inside course management systems and so
nobody can see them in the first place.

Best wishes,

Tom Haigh
www.tomandmaria.com/tom