[SIGCIS-Members] SIGCIS 2011 Workshop schedule online, chairs and commentators needed

Marie Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Sat Aug 20 16:58:51 PDT 2011

Dear All,

The schedule for the 2011 SIGCIS workshop at SHOT is now online:
http://www.sigcis.org/workshop11

Tom Misa of CBI will present the keynote address, on the theme of
"Cultures and Communities in the History of Computing."

We need chairs and commentators for several sessions, and we're hoping
to get participation from people who will be at SHOT but might not be
presenting at the SIGCIS workshop already (particularly in the case of
commentators).

The sessions that need both a chair and a commentator are:

1) Creating Culture through Materials and Methods
    * "Preserving the Material Culture of Computing Communities,"
Peggy Kidwell, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian
Institution
    * "Macromodules, Miniaturization, and the CPU's Brief Removal from
the Black Box," Joseph November, University of South Carolina
    * "Before the Web, there was the NABU Network," Zbigniew
Stachnaik, York University, Toronto

2) Insider and Outsider Communities in the History of Computing
    * "Big Red, White, and Blue: Communities of Policy and Computing
in Mainframe-era Washington, DC," Andrew Meade McGee, University of
Virgina
    * "Computing, Video, and Radical Software," Peter Sachs Collopy,
University of Pennsylvania
    * "Punched Card Table Libraries as a Communal Resource," Allan
Olley, University of Toronto

We also need a moderator for one of the works in progress sessions:

 Works in Progress: Why does the Study of How Communities are Formed
Matter to the History of Computing?
    * "From Universal Project to Sunken Culture: Algol in France,"
Pierre Mounier-Kuhn, CNRS & Université Paris-Sorbonne
    * "The Learning Region Restructured," Janet Toland and Pak Yoong,
Victoria University of Wellington
    * "Murray Turoff and the Birth of Computer Mediated
Comunications," Ramesh Subramanian, Quinnipiac University

Please let me know if you'd like to comment on or chair one of these
sessions. And feel free to send any questions you might have my way as
well. We're looking forward to an exciting workshop and this year.
We're trying a new closing plenary format that brings together
scholars from academia, publishing, museums, and archives to talk
about the workshop theme, and we hope many of you will be able to
participate in that discussion.

Best,

Marie
Chair of the 2011 SIGCIS Workshop program committee
--
Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of History of Technology
mhicks1 at iit.edu
www.mariehicks.net