[SIGCIS-Members] petroleum and computers

Paul McJones paul at mcjones.org
Wed Oct 13 16:34:33 PDT 2010

Consistent with David's Esso correspondent is this sentence by Garret
Birkhoff in his article "Computer Developments 1935-1955, as Seen from
Cambridge, U.S.A." (/A History of Computing in the Twentieth Century/,
edited by Metropolis et al., Academic Press, 1980, p. 29):

"I just want to make it clear that, by 1955, with the first commercial
machines out, American industries, especially the nuclear industry but
also the petroleum industry---which had been egged on by von Neumann:
incidentally, he was an early consultant for the Standard Oil
Development Company--- were using computers and American industry has
relied on them ever since."