[SIGCIS-Members] Analogue vs. Digital

Paul Edwards pne at umich.edu
Wed May 19 04:37:24 PDT 2010

James Small's dissertation did finally get published as a book:

The Analogue Alternative: The Electronic Analogue Computer in Britain and the USA, 1930–1975 (Routledge, 2001).

It's a terrific book and the only thing of its kind about computers (stops in 1975, as the title mentions, though). Unfortunately it is insanely expensive - well over $100, and not many used copies floating around.

A couple of chapters were published as stand-alones in the IEEE Annals of the History of Computing.

Other resources:

Mark Bowles, "U.S. Technological Enthusiasm and British Technological Skepticism in the Age of the Analog Brain"  (IEEE Annals)

Lang, "Analog was not a Computer Trademark! Why Would Anyone Write About Analog Computers In Year 2000?," Sound and Vibration (August 2000, attached to this email if the attachment survives the filter)

Paul