[SIGCIS-Members] Dissertations

marie.hicks at duke.edu marie.hicks at duke.edu
Thu Jul 1 15:47:49 PDT 2010

Hello All,

I'm thankful for this thread, as I neglected to let the list know about my
dissertation (completed last year) on computerization and labor change in the
British government.

In it, I look at how the early, feminized labor force of computer operators
changed into a largely male-dominated one (from the 1950s to roughly the late
sixties). I argue that not only does this process give us insight into the
technological problems encountered by the British State, but that it functions
as a useful case study on institutional change and gendered labor forces in
technology fields--making the story relevant to current concerns.

You can download a 4MB PDF of the whole dissertation at:
http://duke.edu/~meh20/ (username: dissertation and password:
mintech928). There
is also a shorter article based on the dissertation linked under the "writing"
page.

Best,
Marie
Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
and Managing Editor for the Journal
of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708
meh20 at duke.edu
www.duke.edu/~meh20