[SIGCIS-Members] Scientific Instrument Firms as Computer Manufacturers in the 1950s and 1960s

David C. Brock dcb at dcbrock.net
Fri Jul 2 07:01:43 PDT 2010

Dear All,

I'm looking for advice in the form of references to any publications that might treat or touch on the topic of scientific instrument firms as electronic computer manufacturers in the 1950s and 1960s.

I'm aware of two southern California stories: the efforts at Consolidated Electrodynamics -- which led to the Burroughs' Datatron (http://tjsawyer.com/B205Home.htm) in the early and middle 1950s, and the efforts at Beckman Instruments, Inc. that initiated in the middle 1950s and continued well into the 1960s.

I've done some poking around for relevant references, but haven't really found anything.

Any ideas?

Best wishes,

David

P.S. I would, of course, welcome any pointers to relevant archival collections.
___________
David C. Brock
Senior Research Fellow
Center for Contemporary History and Policy
Chemical Heritage Foundation
Principal, D.C. Brock Consulting
40 Russell Street
Greenfield, MA 01301 USA