[SIGCIS-Members] software history/historiography?

Alberts, Gerard G.Alberts at uva.nl
Mon Aug 23 09:47:37 PDT 2010

Dear Julie,
in fact we are working hard on history of software in Europe in a project called Software for Europe. Given the opportunity I cannot resist flagging our workshop History of Software, European Styles, next month in Leiden.
http://www.lc.leidenuniv.nl/lc/web/2010/417/info.php3?wsid=417
To my estimate the books Software issues (edited by Ulf Hashagen e.a. , Springer, 2002) and Martin Campbell-Kelly's From airline reserverations to sonic the hedgehog (MIT, 2003) raised the field of history of software to a new level. What we are doing in "Software for Europe" is on the one hand an effort to firmly embed the history of software in the history of technology and European history; and on the other hand it comprises a return to the sources on early software in the 1950s. In the latter we draw on work by Michael Mahoney and are inspired by our colleagues Nathan Ensmenger and Thomas Haigh.
Best,
Gerard Alberts
Amsterdam
Program in the History of Computing