[SIGCIS-Members] CFP for Colloqium on European information history 1880-1913, Mons, 20-21 May 2010

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Sep 28 10:00:25 PDT 2009

The announcement below may be of interest to people working on 19th century information technologies or those conveniently located for travel to Belgium. It is coming from a separate stream of historical work on what's been called "history of information science" and is increasingly being dubbed "information history" conducted almost exclusively by people inside schools of library and information science. The CFP seems to be written to welcome STS perspectives. Most work has been unashamedly internalist, although the positive side of that is that the scholarship of librarianship traditionally included space for historical work (which unfortunately seems to be getting squeezed out a little in the rush to make things called "iSchools").

Efforts to integrate our two communities seem overdue.

Tom