[SIGCIS-Members] A Favor to Each Other

Bernardo Batiz-Lazo bbatiz64 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 21 05:36:36 PDT 2009

Dear Jim

In my short experience dealing with Mexico leads me to agree with
Petri. Part of the issue is that local production is on a very small
scale (even smaller than in Spain). So it is very hard to find things
if you miss the first time around. Having said that, I've found
"Marcial Pons" in Madrid at delivering stuff (as long as it is in
their catalogue):

http://www.marcialpons.es/

As for history of computing in Mexico, I think the 'Annals' printed a
piece on this failed microcomputer. Tom Haigh and I are working on
something (which is currently on his lap!). The only item I am aware
of which is of some value is

Cantarell, A. and Gonzalez, M. (2002) Historia de la computacion en
Mexico (three volumes), Mexico DF: Hobbiton Ediciones SA

If you then google  "historia de la computacion en mexico" you get a
number of websites at the National University and the Polytecnic. This
is where it seems some body of knowledge is building up.

As for university catalogues:
(Public)

Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
+catálogo general
www.dgbiblio.unam.mx/

+Biblioteca Nacional de México
http://132.248.77.3:8991/F

+Biblioteca de las Americas
http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/portal/bnm/pcuartonivel.jsp?nomportal=bnm&conten=catobras

Instituto Politécnico Nacional,
http://azul.bnct.ipn.mx/

(Private)
Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México,
http://hammurabi.itam.mx/F/-/?func=bor-info

Universidad Iberoamericana,
http://www.bib.uia.mx/sitio/

Others include: Universidad Panamericana,  Universidad Anáhuac,
Universidad Anáhuac del Sur, Universidad Metropolitana, and Mexico
City and Monterrey campii of the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios
Superiores de Monterrey.