[SIGCIS-Members] Teaching PC/internet history

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Sat May 9 08:10:11 PDT 2009

Dear all

This is an excellent discussion. Like some of the other contributors, I
don't have an answer to the literal question Paul raised. The undergrad
teaching pattern here doesn't generally favour studying whole books: I
have one wide-ranging required purchase (Campbell-Kelly and Aspray’s
_Computer_) supplemented with individual papers or extracts. Most of the
book extracts are copied under a licensing deal which allows only one
chapter per volume per course, so we have to be quite wide-ranging in
our selection.

This approach is not ideal for all topics, but for the PC and mass
internet I suspect it's the best approach right now. I'd echo Tom Haigh
in recommending Lindsay's "From the shadows"; and, for British context,
the intelligent pop history in Chapter 3 of Francis Spufford's _Backroom
Boys_ (London: Faber 2003). _Accidental Empires_ and _Hackers_ (and,
indeed, _Fire in the Valley_) are perhaps most valuable when used
selectively and reflexively, pulling out a chapter or two to address
both the content and presentation of computer history. Maybe this
approach could be extended to first-hand accounts such as _Stan Veit's
History of the Personal Computer_ (Asheville, NC: WorldComm 1993), or
the various (and highly variable) platform-specific histories.

Tom Lean, who works on personal computing in the UK, is still preparing
publications, but Frank Veraart has an English-language chapter on
Basicode across Europe which is new in print -- details to follow shortly.

Internet/web: I used Tom Haigh's chapters in the Aspray and Ceruzzi ed
vol successfully with my undergrads this year. They will perhaps not
enthuse a reluctant student, but they are great for providing engaged
students with solid bridges from the world described in the
well-established historical literature to the world they know from
first-hand experience. In particular, "Protocols for profit" usefully
clarifies how much "internet" culture has its roots outside the formal
internet (eg, in proprietary content services such as CompuServe). I
like to build up the paths-not-taken side by pointing to Ted Nelson,
videotex, and Philip Frana’s 2004 _Annals_ piece on Gopher.

Lastly, I find that using plenty of primary source material, including
documentary video and emulated software, scores well in the "exciting
for undergrads" dept. They may start out by laughing at the unfulfilled
predictions / meagre technical specs/ notion that anyone would play
SpaceWar all night, but some of them get hooked. And points that would
be hard to write up become obvious when you show actual footage of an
early dial-up user websurfing (if you can find it: I use footage from
_The Net_, a 1994 BBC magazine show), or use sample issues to show how
_Byte_ changed over a 20-year period.

Hope this helps! I'd be interested to hear from any other listmembers
teaching in this area.

Best
James