[SIGCIS-Members] Introducing myself

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Fri May 8 15:40:03 PDT 2009

Hello Paul and others,

Good questions. You may find our online syllabus repository to be of
interest in course planning. Joe November is currently updating and
improving it. http://www.sigcis.org/?q=node/12 Please consider contributing
your own syllabus when it is ready.

On the PC front there is little to report, which is odd. There's so much
that could be written about user groups, dealerships, popular discourse,
reconstruction of personal computers for different cultural spaces, gender,
technology transfer, etc. Mostly it hasn't been written. However I would
recommend Lindsay's chapter on the TRS-80 ("From the Shadows") in the
Oudshoorn & Pinch volume How Users Matter. Frank Veraart in the Netherlands
and Tom Lean in Manchester have, if I remember correctly, recently completed
dissertations on personal computing topics. I do not know if they've
published anything suitable in English. (Don't be shy to speak up guys).

For a sweeping popular summary of the PC story I'd go with Cringely's
Accidental Empires (or chapters from it) over Fire in the Valley, as it's
more entertaining but actually very insightful with respect to platform
competition, architecture lock in, etc. You'll just have to turn the
datedness into a teachable feature and make it do double duty as a primary
source.

For the Internet, you should definitely check out the new Aspray & Ceruzzi
edited MIT Press book The Internet and American Business.
http://www.amazon.com/Internet-American-Business-History-Computing/dp/026201
2405. Mostly the book looks at the Internet in use in various fields, with a
star studded cast of history of computing contributors.

Momentarily eschewing modesty, my own chapter from this book "Protocols for
Profit: Web and Email Technologies as Product and Infrastructure" could fit
your requirements. It retells the history of web and email technologies from
a business history meets STS perspective. I tried to focus particularly on
ways in which the legacy of the pre commercial Internet shaped browser and
email development in the commercial era. I don't have any special sources
and relied on published accounts, mostly newspaper articles, for the actual
facts. A draft is online at
http://tomandmaria.com/tom/Writing/ProtocolsForProfitDRAFT.pdf. My other
chapter, "The Web's Missing Links" looked at the web navigation business
(search engines, directories, and portals) from a similar perspective.
http://tomandmaria.com/tom/Writing/WebsMissingLinksDRAFT.pdf. However I do
encourage you to get the whole book.

Don't discount Janet's book. You might not want to assign the whole thing,
but I found that the chapter on email and applications stands nicely on its
own.

Also