[SIGCIS-Members] follow-up: Short-term Fellowships in ACM History (deadline 30 April)

tmisa at umn.edu tmisa at umn.edu
Fri Mar 27 06:33:02 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Just a "follow-up" to Tom Haigh's suggestion -- he is exactly right: "There
are really an enormous number of topics that could be fitted into this
call." See the detailed listing of possible ACM Research materials, linked
to: <http://history.acm.org/content.php?do=fellowship>

1. GOOD proposals are what ACM's History Committee is looking for -- and
needs to see. Please don't send in incomplete, poorly done attempts. That
will do no one credit.

2. The ACM headquarters papers are still being processed at CBI as we
speak. For questions about possible access, prior to the archiving
project's completion, please contact Loralee Bloom <bloom191 at umn.edu>.

3. The HC wants to draw attention to the entire range of historical
materials that the ACM has devoted resources to. In addition to traditional
paper-based archives, there are also on-line "raw materials" for a possible
project: oral histories, ACM Turing prize websites, and a treasure-trove of
historical material in ACM's immense "Digital Library."

For the latter, you'll need to get access through your
university/institution (or by joining ACM including Digital Library
access). You can find there full text of most ACM journals and proceedings
since 1950 . . . publications of affiliated organization (24 journals,
including ALGOL Bulletin [1959-84], Computational Linguistics [1980--],
Very Large Data Bases [1975--], etc.) . . . AFIPS Joint Computer
Conferences 1951-84 . . . .

Many thanks, Tom Misa

On Mar 25 2009, Thomas Haigh wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
> Let me just encourage you to follow up on Tom's call to ensure a good
> supply high grade proposals.
>
> As far as I know CBI has not yet issued a finding aid for its new ACM
> collection, so taking advantage of existing collections with published
> finding aids could be a valuable complement. In working out a proposal
> you may find useful my article "Sources for ACM History: What, Where,
> Why" (with Elizabeth Kaplan and Carrie Seib), Communications of the ACM
> 50:5 (May
> 2007):36-41. http://www.tomandmaria.com/tom/Writing/ACMHistorySources.pdf
> This includes discussion (mostly by the coauthors, who are formed CBI
> archivists) of ACM related materials in archival centers across the
> country. There are really an enormous number of topics that could be
> fitted into this call.
>
>According to the CBI blog at http://blog.lib.umn.edu/horow021/cbi/ you can
>email horow021 at umn.edu if you want to know more about the new collection.
>
> If you're interested in seeing what else the ACM History Committee has
> been doing its website at http://history.acm.org/ includes links and
> minutes. Back in 2003/4 as an original member of the ACM History
> Committee I did my best to convince its non-historian members that the
> three most effective and cost effective investments the association could
> make to ensure that its own history and the history of its field were
> told would be (1) get its papers archived at a major center, (2) set up
> grants in aid, and (3) sponsor a SHOT prize. I'm thrilled to see that the
> ACM (prompted I'm sure by Tom Misa's and Bill Aspray's skills of charm
> and persuasion rather than any influence of my own long ago suggestions)
> has now acted on the two most important of these.
>
>Tom

Thomas J. Misa

Director,
Charles Babbage Institute
211 Andersen Library
222 - 21st Avenue South
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624.5050 tel
612 625.8054 fax
http://www.cbi.umn.edu

Program for History of Science, Technology & Medicine