[SIGCIS-Members] SIGCIS Workshop - Chairs and Commentators Needed

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Aug 5 16:35:08 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Preparations are coming along nicely for the SIGCIS workshop, held all day
on the Sunday of the SHOT meeting. SHOT registration is now live, at
http://www.historyoftechnology.org/pittsburgh/pittsburgh_registration.html.
The deadline for regular registration in September 15.

The SIG pizza lunch meeting, which you should register for with the main
SHOT registration at modest additional cost (just $5 for grad students
thanks to a subsidy from SIG funds) is NOT THE SAME as the workshop. There
will be no charge for workshop registration but we will have a web
registration system up soon just for the workshop so we will know how many
cups of coffee to order, people's meal preferences (meals at your own cost),
how many for dinner, etc.

When you register, please try to stay for the whole of Sunday, as we will
have sessions up to 5:45pm and then a dinner in the evening for those able
to stay overnight (or leave really late).

Joe November, the program chair, has been keeping things updated on the
draft program at
http://www.sigcis.org/files/SIGCIS%202009%20Workshop%20Preliminary%20Schedul
e%20--%2008-04-2009.pdf.  Joe tells me that we still need chairs and
commentator volunteers, as noted below.

We will give preference to people who are not already on the workshop
program as speakers. We want to bring as many SIGCIS members onto the
workshop program as possible. This includes those who are already taking
part as presenters, commentators or chairs in the main SHOT meeting.

If you are interested please send your names and preferences to
november at mailbox.sc.edu.

Here's what we still need for the traditional sessions. Total one chair,
three commentators.

A commentator for

Traditional Paper Session 2: The Computings of Management

Lars Heide, Copenhagen Business School, "Punched Cards in German Management
of Resources

in the Second World War"

David Anderson, University of Portsmouth, "The Corridors of Power: Patrick
Blackett and the

Political Context of Early British Computing"

Jonathan Aylen, Manchester Institute of Innovation Research, University of
Manchester,

"'You've got to roll with it': radical adoption of computers and changes to
managerial routines

at Llanwern steelworks, South Wales"

Chair: Janet Delve, School of Creative Technologies, University of
Portsmouth

A chair and a commentator for

Traditional Paper Session 3: Political Institutions in the Histories of
Computings

Andrew Mamo, "Computing Societies: Communications Technologies and Social
Science in the

Cambridge Project"

Stephen Patnode, Temple University, "The Impact of Computers on Corporate
Paternalism in

the Post-war United States"

David Nofre, Informatics Institute, University of Amsterdam, "The Dutch
politics of computing

and the limits of international cooperation, 1945-1965"

A commentator for

Traditional Paper Session 4: Computings as They Rose and Fell

Dave Goodwin, Birkbeck College, University of London, "Digital Equipment
Corporation: The

mistakes that led to its downfall"

Larry Owens, University of Massachusetts Amherst, "Walking Around
Computerville: The PC

and the Encyclopedia of Computer Science, 1976-1983"

Chair: David Hemmendinger, Computer Science Department, Union College

Best wishes,

Tom Haigh